Inside the Palazzo del Comune there are splendid works of art in glazed terracotta, among which the most beautiful and particular is "Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well" by Girolamo della Robbia, dated to 1510.

During the Middle Ages Pieve became an important Longobard center known by the name of Oppidum Verona. In the following years Pieve passed several times into the hands of the Faggiolani, Montedoglio, Tarlati and Umbertini until in 1385 all the municipalities of the Val di Verona, corresponding to the current Valtiberina Toscana, submitted to the Florentine Republic. Pieve became the capital of the Podesteria of the Val di Verona, part of the Vicariate of Anghiari and in 1545 it was elevated to the rank of Vicariate, a title that it will keep until 1838. In 1589 Pieve is the scene of a miraculous event: hosts of angels with a torch in hand are seen while at night they go in procession in front of a sacred image, painted on the wall of an aedicule that rises along the road that leads to Sansepolcro, not far from the Ponte Vecchio. After a regular canonical process that certifies 25 miracles, in 1590 the first stone of the Sanctuary of the Madonna dei Lumi was laid, which will even resist the suppressions of the nineteenth century.